Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities
Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities
Emigrant Bank is committed to providing superior customer service to all of our customers and potential customers. For persons with disabilities, we have a number of services in place to provide or improve access to our products and services, whether they are delivered online, by telephone or in our branches. We strive to provide our services in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and applicable New York state and local laws.
We make every effort to meet online usability and design requirements recommended by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) in its Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 as well as requirements under the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010.
We follow the W3C's globally recognized standards to ensure our content is compatible with computer-based assistive technologies and browsers that also conform to W3C standards. We recommend using the most current versions of (or the version released just prior to) the manufacturer's assistive technology applications. We also recommend trying different types of browsers with assistive technology applications to determine which combination works best for you.
Additionally we support screen magnification technologies and accessibility features-like zoom, color and other image controls-that major browsers provide.
- Enlarged text function. Web pages of Emigrant Bank websites are compatible with enlarged text functionality available through the user's browser.
- Enlarged check copies. Upon request, Emigrant Bank will provide enlarged copies of paid checks furnished with periodic statements.
- Information Reformatting. Upon request, many Emigrant documents, including monthly statements, notices, checks, standardized forms and informational materials, may be provided in alternate accessible formats, including large print fonts, audio, Braille, and tactile material.
- Telephone Transfer Service. In addition, for those customers who are not able to visit a branch or those who are not presently using our Online Banking services, Emigrant Bank offers a telephone transfer service through which certain transactions can be made, including funds transfers among Emigrant Bank accounts, balance inquiries, Debit Card stop payments, etc. Our Customer Service Representatives are trained to work with a relay service employed by the customer.
- Please call customer service at 1-800-836-1998
- At its branches, Emigrant Bank endeavors to comply with the ADA and applicable New York state and local laws relating to accessibility for the disabled.
Automated Teller Machines (ATMs)
- Accessible physical access. All Emigrant Bank ATMs are structured to meet the ADA height and reach accessibility requirements.
- Visibility and lighting. All of Emigrant Bank's ATM facilities are maintained to provide adequate lighting and visibility.
- Talking ATMs. Emigrant Bank ATMs employ speech output capabilities to provide accessibility to blind and visually impaired customers. Our talking ATMs feature voice instructions accessible through headphones inserted into an ATM jack. Headphones are available upon request.
- Universal keyboard layout and Braille decals. To assist blind or visually impaired persons, our ATM keyboards currently feature a universal layout with a dimple for the "5" key and special raised symbols for locating the ATM's cancel, enter and clear keys. In addition, Braille decals identify the major components on the ATM face, including the receipt printer, deposit and dispenser slots.
Customer Service for Persons with Disabilities
- For the deaf, hearing or speech impaired: We will communicate in our branches by exchanging notes if the customer is comfortable with that approach. Alternatively, if feasible, we will attempt to provide a sign language interpreter for more complex situations on a case by case basis.
- For blind or visually impaired persons: Emigrant bankers will assist these customers in reading and completing basic documents and forms upon request and, if possible, make copies of basic documents in enlarged print as needed.
Upon advance request, we may provide regular copies of canceled checks in large type.
Other Accommodations for Disabled Persons
Some persons may have other disability-related needs. Emigrant thoughtfully reviews individual requests related to special needs on a case by case basis and seeks to find a reasonable accommodation for its customers.